How old is Harris now?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, June 17, 2011

Harris caught the sixth disease!

to my relief! he 's all better now :D

well, his history of presnting ( more like past) illness are like this :

Harris had caught up symptoms of upper airway infection eversince we came back from Kelantan to visit his paternal great grandparents. He's been having chesty cough and runny nose which irritated him at times. I opted not to give him anything initially but as the cough persisted more than a week, I prescribed Augmentin for him. Had him been any other kid, i wouldn't have done that, but considering his maman works very closely with fatally sick babies and todds , prompted me to start him on the expensive broad spectrum antibiotic. He didn't like it at all though it tasted sweet. In fact, he'd vomit back everything. Harris!! I let him did so in the beginning. but then, he started to become feverish.not good, i thought. though i didn't have a thermometre, i knew it was high grade clinically. I had no choice but to make sure the Augmentin and the antipyeretic paracetamol got in! So, i administered them orally with a syringe little by little. slow and torturous for him but i had to. i thought he'd never like me after that. luckilly he still wants me as his number one favourite ( tapi everytime mase bagi ubat tu nak kat papa je la :p ) , what troubled me more then, the fever resolved for 6 hours then  kept on spiked again as the antipyretic effect faded . despite the antibiotic. He even had lymph nodes! the whole set of neck nodes ; post auricular, occipital , anterior and posterior jugular chains and even supraclavicular. bilaterally!  they were not matted, which was a relief. I was considering to add up EES but then the fever totally resolved after three days. So i didn't. However, later that evening, I received a call from mon cheri telling me that harris developed  rash all over his body. I was on-call that day. A lot of things went through my mind at that instace. could it be measles? could it be chicken pox? could it even be Dengue?? I asked cheri to bring Harris to the hospital later that night but he didn't as Harris slept rather early that night. So I anxiously waited for the clock to turn 5 the next day so that I can see for myself what's going on with Harris. ( On-call during weekdays mean i have to stay in the Hospital from 8.00 am in the morning till 5.00 pm the next day) . But honestly, when I reached home,  I couldn't think of any spot on diagnosis. It was macular papular in nature , no pustules or blisters. didn;t look like a measles at all, definitely not a chicken pox or dengue rash. Therefore, i called up a senior colleague who was fortunately on-call that day, to get her opinion. She was the one, who diagnosed Harris with Roseala Infantum ( also known as the sixth disease) the minute he saw my son. brilliant doc she is!  no wonder the antibiotic didn't work. It was of viral origin! but on my defence, at that point of time, the high grade fever could not rule out bacteria, could it?

thank you so much, mate. after knowing the diagnosis, when i recall  the history retrospectively, indeed it was quite a textbook presentation. Harris oh Harris. maman loves you so much I can't even think straight!

the rashes has gone today. He is back to his normal cheerful mood ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment